The Google Pixel Fold's hinge is designed to be folded over 200,000 times, and Google claims it is the most durable hinge on the market. The phone also has IPX8 water resistance. However, the review points out that the phone does not seem to fold completely flat when open.
The Pixel Fold comes in two colors: Obsidian and Porcelain.
The device has multiple usage modes thanks to its flexible design. There's a hands-free tabletop mode, which positions the device like a laptop, handy for video calls, watching videos, and taking photos without a tripod. It can also be used in tablet mode, and Google has optimized more than 50 of its apps for the big screen. It's also working with third-party apps to ensure they work well on the large display. Similar to the Galaxy Z Fold, you can run two apps side by side on the Fold's large display, and drag and drop content between windows.
An interesting feature is the tent mode, where you can start a YouTube video or Google Meet call and keep watching on the outside display while the phone is folded in a tent shape. Additionally, with the upcoming Android 14, you'll be able to do a live translation between two people with one person looking at the Pixel Fold's inner display and the other person viewing the cover display.
However, the phone is not without its drawbacks. The Google Pixel Fold is noted to be very expensive, just like the Galaxy Fold, with prices starting at $1,799 for the 256GB variant, and $1,919 for the 512GB variant. The bezels on the phone are considered chunky, and the crease where it folds is fairly prominent.
Google's New Pixel Fold: A Thin and Powerful Foldable Phone with Android 14
Google has finally entered the foldable phone market with the Pixel Fold, a device that combines a 5.8-inch cover display with a 7.6-inch main display that unfolds like a book. The Pixel Fold is not only the thinnest foldable phone available, but also one of the most powerful, thanks to its Tensor G2 processor and 12GB of RAM. It also boasts a triple camera system that delivers stunning photos and videos, as well as a generous battery life and wireless charging support.
Design and Durability
The Pixel Fold has a sleek and elegant design that makes it stand out from other foldable phones. It measures just 0.2 inches thick when open, making it the thinnest foldable phone on the market⁴. It also weighs only 10 ounces, which is lighter than the Galaxy Z Fold 4 (11.1 ounces). The Pixel Fold comes in two colors: Obsidian and Porcelain.
The Pixel Fold features a wide 5.8-inch OLED cover display that has a resolution of 2092 x 1080 pixels and a refresh rate of up to 120Hz⁴. The cover display is easy to use for checking notifications, browsing the web, or taking selfies with the 9.5MP front camera.
When you unfold the Pixel Fold, you are greeted by a stunning 7.6-inch OLED main display that has a resolution of 2208 x 1840 pixels and a refresh rate of up to 120Hz⁴. The main display offers a spacious and immersive viewing experience for watching videos, playing games, or multitasking with multiple apps. The main display also has an 8MP inner camera for video calls or selfies.
The Pixel Fold uses a durable hinge mechanism that allows you to open and close the device smoothly and securely. The hinge also supports Flex mode, which lets you prop up the device at different angles for hands-free use. The Pixel Fold is also water-resistant with an IPX8 rating, which means it can withstand immersion in water up to 1.5 meters deep for up to 30 minutes.
Performance and Battery Life
The Pixel Fold is powered by the Tensor G2 processor, which is Google's second-generation custom chip that delivers fast and efficient performance for demanding tasks. The Tensor G2 processor also enables advanced AI features, such as voice recognition, translation, transcription, and image processing⁴. The Pixel Fold has 12GB of RAM and either 256GB or 512GB of internal storage.
The Pixel Fold runs on Android 13, which is optimized for foldable devices and offers a seamless user interface across both displays. Android 13 also introduces new features, such as Live Caption, which automatically generates captions for any audio or video content on your device; Nearby Share, which lets you easily share files with nearby devices; and Smart Reply, which suggests relevant responses to your messages based on context.
The Pixel Fold has a 4,821 mAh battery that can last up to a full day of mixed use on a single charge. The Pixel Fold supports fast wired charging with a 30W adapter (included in the box), as well as wireless charging with any Qi-compatible charger. The Pixel Fold can also reverse wireless charge other devices, such as earbuds or smartwatches.
Cameras and Features
The Pixel Fold has a triple camera system on the back that consists of a 48MP main camera with an f/1.7 aperture, a 10.8MP ultrawide camera with an f/2.2 aperture, and a 10.8MP telephoto camera with a 5x optical zoom. The Pixel Fold's cameras deliver stunning photos and videos in various lighting conditions, thanks to Google's computational photography algorithms that enhance details, colors, contrast, and dynamic range.
The Pixel Fold can record 4K video at up to 60 fps with both the rear and front cameras. The Pixel Fold also supports HDR+ video recording, which improves the brightness and color accuracy of your videos; Cinematic Pan, which adds smooth motion effects to your videos; and Night Sight mode, which captures clear and bright videos in low-light situations.
The Pixel Fold comes with several features that make it more than just a phone. For example, the Pixel Fold can act as a smart speaker when docked on the Pixel Stand (sold separately), which lets you control your smart home devices or access Google Assistant with voice commands. The Pixel Fold also works seamlessly with the Google Pixel Watch (included for free with pre-orders), which lets you monitor your health and fitness data or receive notifications from your phone on your wrist.
The Google Pixel Fold is an impressive foldable phone that offers a thin and elegant design, a powerful performance, a long battery life, and amazing cameras. It also comes with Android 13 and several features that enhance your productivity and entertainment. However, the Pixel Fold is not cheap, as it starts at $1,799 for the 256GB model and goes up to $1,919 for the 512GB model. If you are looking for a foldable phone that can do it all, the Google Pixel Fold might be worth considering.
Here's what I found on the Google Pixel Fold so far on the internet:
- The Google Pixel Fold was released in June 2023.
- It features a wider front display compared to some other foldable phones, specifically, a 5.8-inch cover display and a 7.6-inch main display. The cover display is designed to be wide enough that you don't feel squished when typing, which is a welcome change compared to the taller but narrower front screens on some other foldable phones like the Galaxy Z Fold.
- The phone is very thin, measuring just 0.2 inches thick when open, making it the thinnest foldable phone available as of its release. However, it's a bit heavier than the Galaxy Z Fold, weighing 10 ounces.
- The Pixel Fold's hinge is designed to be folded over 200,000 times and is claimed by Google to be the most durable. It also has IPX8 water resistance. One downside mentioned in the review is that the phone doesn't seem to fold fully flat when open.
- The phone comes in two colors: Obsidian and Porcelain.
- The Pixel Fold offers several usage modes thanks to its flexible design. There's a hands-free tabletop mode, which positions the device just like a laptop, and a tablet mode. Google has optimized more than 50 of its apps for the large screen, and it's working with third-party apps like TikTok, Spotify, Asphalt 9, and Disney Plus to make sure they work well on the large screen.
- Similar to the Galaxy Z Fold, you can run two apps side by side on the Fold's large display and drag and drop content between windows. There's also a taskbar to more easily switch between apps, which disappears when not in use.
- A future feature with Android 14 is the ability to do a live translation between two people with one person looking at the Pixel Fold's inner display and the other person viewing the cover display.
- The starting price for the Pixel Fold is $1,799, which is the same as the Galaxy Z Fold.
- The specs for the Pixel Fold include:
- 5.8 inches OLED cover display (2092 x 1080)
- 7.6 inches OLED main display (2208 x 1840)
- Refresh rate: Up to 120Hz for both
- CPU: Tensor G2
- RAM: 12GB
- Storage: 256GB / 512GB
- Rear cameras: 48MP (f/1.7), 10.8MP ultrawide (f/2.2), 10.8MP telephoto (5x optical zoom)
- Front camera: 9.5MP (f/2.2)
- Inner camera: 8MP (f/2.0)
- Video: 4K video up to 60 fps
- Battery size: 4,821 mAh
- Wired charging speed: 30W
- Wireless charging: Yes
- Size open: 6.2 x 5.5 x 0.2 inches
- Size closed: 5.5 x 3.1 x 0.5 inches
- Weight: 10 ounces
- Colors: Obsidian, Porcelain.
As for the Google Pixel 7
- Pixel Fold, Power & Innovation Folded into one - Google Store. https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_fold?hl=en-US
- Google now sells a folding phone, meet the new Pixel Fold. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/google-now-sells-a-folding-phone-meet-the-new-pixel-fold/ar-AA1b3TZo
- Google Pixel Fold: More (and Less) than a Galaxy Z Fold 4 Carbon Copy. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Pixel-Fold-More-and-Less-than-a-Galaxy-Z-Fold-4-Carbon-Copy_id147659
- Temu Works with Google Pixel Fold, Elevating the Mobile Shopping Experience. https://sports.yahoo.com/temu-works-google-pixel-fold-143000475.html
- Google Pixel Fold release date, price, specs, and latest news. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/google-pixel-fold